Tuesday, June 12, 2012

5 out of 6 Dreams Uninterpreted

My Kiefer Sutherland Donut Dreams were eventually replaced by a disturbing series where my teeth kept crumbling and falling out of my mouth.

Without a handy copy of 1000 Dreams Interpreted*, I turned to Google** to divine the meaning behind my inner workings of my mind.

Dreams involving tooth decay are quite common.  They could mean a number of things, including a reflection of some kind of major life change, fear of getting old, and/or fear of making a fool of oneself... all of which could easily have applied in November of 2010. And still do, I suppose.  Though I haven't had a dream about my teeth in a very long time.

I came up with nothing when I looked up dreams involving celebrities violently coercing you into eating baked goods.  Feeding***, yes.  Force-feeding, no.

I similarly came up empty-handed when I tried to look up what it means if you have dreams involving being executed by celebrities. 

As I write this, I remember another recurring dream I had in my early 20's where I'm somehow caught up in World War II.  Different battle zones are divided up like a game of 3D Tic Tac Toe.  I know that reaching one of the bottom corners of the cube equals safety.  When I finally make it down (after much struggle but no serious injury), I find Roberto Benigni sitting safely behind the walls of a sandbag bumper, eating a burrito.  He offers me some of his burrito, and before I have the chance to accept, one of his arms turns into a pool noodle.  He then uses his good arm to remove the pool noodle arm, and starts beating me with it.  It doesn't hurt.  But still.

I found some stuff on dreaming about celebrities, but none of the celebrity situations offered seemed to really be applicable to me - there was nothing about celebrities threatening you in any way, anyway****.

I found plenty to indicate that recurring dreams are your brain's way of bombarding you with something that you're supposed to learn about yourself.  Fine.  I can accept that.

Once I got into it, I also tried to find the meaning behind a dream that I've had since... I'm going to say infancy, because I can't remember ever not having it:

I am jumping up and down, each time getting a little bit higher, until I bounce myself airborne.  Once in the sky, I'm at the mercy of the wind and such, but otherwise keep rising higher and higher.  Trying to steer myself is useless, but after a few moments of apprehension about being up in the air, I feel... (go ahead and be embarrassed for me) kind of like an albatross, content to let the wind push me this way and that, curious to see the world from this angle.  All the while confident that eventually I'll bump into a tall tree, skyscraper, mountainside or hot air balloon and make my way safely back to ground level.  Only that never happens.  I just keep getting higher and higher, eventually panicking when I realize that I've crossed through the cloud level and the next thing up is the stratosphere - and then incineration.  And definitely no way down.

I have found nothing online to explain this, either.  Jumping, yes.  Flying, yes.  Falling, yes.  Floating, yes.  Nothing that really addresses my particular situation*****.

I have also found nothing to explain a dream where I am staring absent-mindedly out the window of a taxi, stopped at a traffic light, and my eyes meet, just briefly, with those of a young woman picking at some vicious camel-toe.

But then again, that wasn't a dream at all.  It's just something that happened last Friday, when I was on my way to meet Chris and Sara for drinks at the museum.

As an afterthought, it's accepted that babies dream, in utero included.  But I couldn't find anything to explain at what point in infancy/childhood the young learn to differentiate dreams from reality.  Primary research shows that it's not any time soon for the twins.

As a second afterthought, I have self-diagnosed myself with an actual medical, hypersomniac condition known as "sleep-drunkenness".  When they waken, the sleep-drunk are disoriented, confused, unco-ordinated, etc.  Like being drunk.  Which is exactly how I feel in the morning...

As my grade 8 science teacher would say, "Wise up, Wisenheimers".  Actually still being drunk on wakening can only explain my state a percentage****** of the time.  The rest of the time, it's just me.  No wonder I'm always late for work.

*Am I wrong?  I very distinctly remember the existence of a tome called 1000 Dreams Interpreted as a standard on the bookshelves of the mothers of several friends in high school who would also have texts about how to better understand their star signs.  But, according to the internet, this book did not exist until 2003.

**Google taking third place behind a Freudian or a clairvoyant.  I had access to neither.

***Dreams involving feeding indicate "that someone in your life is in need of love and acceptance. That someone could be an aspect of yourself".  I don't think that really works for force-feeding.  Although, I did find that a dream of donut,  "especially if it's a glazed donut, tells us that we [are?] lost, and still struggling to find ourselves and our purpose in life".  Nothing about burritos, though.  If you don't believe me, here:  http://nelamoxtli.com/food.html.


****To be fair, though, none of the celebrities of my dreams have been threatening me, exactly.  Maybe Kiefer understood that I really needed more donuts in my life but knew I was going to walk out with only a coffee if not otherwise persuaded.  The executioners were really just victims of circumstance.  They didn't necessarily want to be there.  And beating with a pool noodle is hardly an act of aggression.

*****if I were inclined, I could try to piece together an interpretation using jumping, flying, falling and floating as starting off points.  But that only leads to a conflicting swarm of emotions ranging from exhileration, power, self-confidence, the need to take risks, belief that you will overcome your fears and obstacles, to, lack of confidence, fear of challenges and/or success, impatience, questioning of one's abilities, and doubt.  Oh Granken, you are a riddle.

******I said "a" percentage, I didn't quantify.  Did I?

No comments:

Post a Comment